Food is something we all eat, enjoy and take pleasure in sharing with our close ones. But some of us are not lucky enough. Suffering from a food allergy is nothing short of a nightmare. The simple process of eating food can turn into a tortuous task that requires close inspection and lots of attention for such folks.
An allergy towards gluten and casein is quite common and people who suffer from such allergies need to exercise caution. They are forced to forego the enjoyment part of eating and instead, immerse themselves in checking each food that they choose to eat. This checking has to be done in an extremely detailed manner; for any signs or presence of anything that may trigger allergens.
Watch Out For The Gluten Monster!
Considering the hullaballoo regarding the term gluten, we are forced to look upon it as if it signifies the name of some ferocious monster. Well, a monster it is, for the poor folks who cannot tolerate it in any form.
Gluten is actually a kind of protein and is a major ingredient in grains; like for instance wheat, barley, rye etc. This Gluten can damage the mucosal linings of the small intestine in folks who are allergic.
This damage can lead to chronic pain in the abdomen and loose stools, which is described as Celiac disease. But the damage can be reversed if the diet is kept free of gluten. Doctors recommend a gluten free diet for such individuals.
Gluten Free Diet and Foods
Gluten free diet is almost a necessity for folks who suffer from such food allergies. We all have noticed gluten free food stuffs lining the shelves in the grocery store.
These gluten free foods are chemically tested to ensure that they contain no trace of gluten, and are thus certified to be safe to use by the gluten allergic folks.
Benefits of Using Gluten Free Diet
- The Gluten free diet is recommended only for people who suffer from a confirmed food allergy towards gluten. There is no reason why others who are normal should use this diet.
- Gluten free Casein free diet has been said to benefit patients who suffer from ADHD. Doctors recommend a GFCF diet (Gluten free casein free diet) for such patients.
- All kinds of gluten allergy related bowel disorders like Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease etc have been seen to improve while using a gluten free diet.
How Does the Paleo Diet Measure Up Against the Gluten Free Diet?
- The Paleo diet is not only a specific kind of diet, but it is a style of living. Paleo diet aficionados have nicknamed it Paleo living.
- It’s all about going back to one’s roots, by mimicking the diet that our ancestors used to eat.
- The Paleo diet restricts all kinds of grains, dairy products, legumes, processed oils, and almost every food except meat, fish, fruits, vegetables and some natural oils.
- Since grains and milk products are banned from the Paleo diet food list, it automatically becomes a GFCF diet.
- So the Paleo diet not only helps the folks suffering from gluten and casein allergy, but also helps many other disease conditions like Cardiovascular problems, Diabetes, Arthritis, ADHD, Multiple Sclerosis, etc.
- An added benefit of the Paleo Diet is that it helps immensely in losing any extra pounds and inches that one may have.
- It is an excellent method to lose weight and maintain a muscular and fit physique.
- So that makes the Paleo diet quite superior to the Gluten free diet, as it not only covers all features of the gluten free diet, but also has lots of bonuses to offer to its loyal followers.
- The Paleo diet need not be restricted to any section of the population, and every one can use it regardless of having a food allergy or not.