Do you remember the last time you saw a picture of a caveman? What was the first impression that popped into your mind? Well, let me tell you what I felt.
I was looking at the muscular physique and ferociously strong appearance of the Cavemen. Of course, they were no where close to our current generation in terms of looks, but I’m sure you would agree; some things are more important than looks.
Value of Health over Looks
Health is more important than having great looks, but if you get a chance to have your cake and eat it too, how wonderful would that be? Yes, I am talking about the Paleo diet. Considering that we have evolved considerably in terms of facial features when compared to the Palaeolithic period; the only thing keeping us from eating our cake is health. The Paleo diet can be your answer to getting your health back, because it has already been proven to be immensely beneficial by our ancestors.
Benefits of Paleo Diet
1. Weight Loss
- This is the foremost advantage that I chose to mention, for three crucial reasons.
- The first reason is that Obesity is now considered by medical professionals as the fore-runner of numerous other serious disorders like Diabetes, Heart troubles, Hypertension, etc.
- The second reason is that Obesity ranks as a prime factor contributing towards premature death. Did you know that the USA has the most morbidly obese persons per capita, when compared to the rest of the globe?
- The third reason is that weight loss is a goal of the majority of the population, and this is because our current eating habits and lifestyle has only made us fat and unhealthy, and is speedily marching all of us towards our graves.
- The Paleo diet encourages a low carb and high protein diet. This approach has been proved to help in weight loss.
- The best aspect of the weight loss achieved through the adoption of the Paleo diet is that you can lose weight while eating great tasting food.
- You need not go hungry, count calories or whip yourself to lose weight. Think of the Paleo mantra as “Lose weight while eating more.”
2. Healthy Digestive System
- We should have some amount of compassion for our digestive systems. Have you ever noticed that we overwork and over-strain our digestive system, beyond its limits?
- All these overwork and over-straining only leads to sub-optimal (below average) performance by the digestive system.
- The results are flatulence, bloating, constipation, indigestion and inadequate handling of fat metabolism; which ends up making us fatter and less healthy.
- Look closely at the Paleo diet and you will find that the major part of the food is taken up by fruits, vegetables, nuts, and of course meat and fish.
- But one advantage of consuming all these fruits and vegetables is that they offer a huge amount of fiber to your digestive system.
- Fiber is like a magic rejuvenation solution to the digestive system.
- Fiber helps in restoring the vigorous functions of the digestive system.
- It not only boosts the motility of the intestines, but also acts like a sponge that absorbs the accumulated waste in the colon.
- A diet rich in fiber has been proved to prevent many common disorders like hemorrhoids, rectal fissures, constipation, etc.
- Fiber also saves us from dangerous and fatal diseases like colon cancer.
- The Paleo diet ensures that you digest your food properly, have regular bowel movements, and helps to keep your digestive system in excellent working condition.
3. Freedom From Gluten
- Since you are avoiding all kinds of cereals and milk while on the Paleo diet, you are automatically deleting the word ‘Gluten’ from your life.
- Gluten and Casein (protein from milk) are known to aggravate many allergic responses and have been considered to cause chronic disorders like Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
4. Other Health Benefits
- The Paleo diet helps many other health disorders like arthritis, and prevents the onset of potentially fatal diseases like cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, Diabetes and even Cancer.
Health Risks of the Paleo Diet
- Sure, there are some so-called flipsides to the Paleo diet, but that is only if you believe the critics.
- The foremost argument in opposition to the Paleo diet is that it is devoid of milk, so there is a chance of developing calcium deficiency and subsequent bone weakness and osteoporosis.
- But common sense says that calcium can be sourced from eating green leafy vegetables like spinach as well.
- By the way did you ever read about a Caveman who had weak bones and suffered from Osteoporosis? Well, I tried hard but could not find any evidence that suggests that the Cavemen had weak bones; only the contrary is found to be true.