The Paleo Diet
So what are we doing wrong? Why is our generation so bogged down by so many health problems? Not to mention the numerous genetic disorders and chromosomal aberrations leading to birth defects in our children?
Difference in Eating Habits
Remember something your mother used to tell you? “You are what you eat.” It’s true! Sit down and think of the major difference between our modern eating habits and that of our ancestors.
It is probable that if people from that era were around now, they would not even consider our diet edible. 95% of the modern day diet constitutes cooked, processed, refined and preserved food. A major part of our current diet was not even around in the Paleolithic era, and history tells us that they did absolutely fine without using any of these modern-isms.
Paleo Diet Principles
- The fundamental concept of the Paleo Diet is that our genetic make-up is more adapted to the diet used in the Paleolithic period, rather than the existing one.
- Our bodies are programmed to benefit from the diet consumed during the Paleolithic period.
- There was no agriculture or rearing of animals during this period and hence the diet of the Cavemen entirely depended on wild animals, fish, wild fruit and a few vegetables.
- Frying or other modes of cooking were totally unheard of in that era. The only known method of cooking during that period was roasting.
- There was no use of salt, sugar, oils, legumes or grains in that era.
So basically their diet was high protein, low carb and absolutely excluded additives, legumes or cereals.
Advantages of the Paleo Diet
- High protein and low carb menu aids in weight loss.
- Many chronic disorders like heart trouble, hypertension and arthritis are all said to be benefited by sticking to a Paleo Diet.
- No Calorie counting required!